Even if you’re the safest driver in the world, you can’t always account for the inattention and neglectful actions of other drivers on the road. Though you can avoid causing an accident by being careful, you might still be involved in a collision with a careless driver. Knowing what to do in a car accident (as well as having sufficient car insurance coverage) can protect you from the devastation, help you get through the incident quickly and efficiently, and save you from the mounting costs that might result from it.
How to Be Prepared
The first step to protection is preparation. Plan to drive as carefully as possible, but also plan for the event that you encounter someone who doesn’t. Be sure to keep;
- Your driver’s license, insurance card, vehicle registration, and emergency contacts in your glove box
- A vehicle emergency kit that includes a first-aid kit, flares, warning cones, a basic tool kit, spare tire and jack, water, and other emergency essentials
- Your insurance agent’s phone number programmed into your cellphone
Immediately After the Accident
Immediately following an accident or collision, take a deep breath and calm yourself as much as possible, then;
- Check yourself and any passengers (if applicable) for injuries. If necessary, call an ambulance.
- Turn the car’s hazard lights on. If your car is still drivable, move the car out of the traffic.
- Call the police, even if you aren’t injured.
- To avoid another accident, place the flares and warning cones at least 15 ft. from the vehicle.
- Make notes about the accident, and call your insurance agent as soon as possible
Dealing with the Aftermath
If the other driver has insurance, take down the driver’s information if he/she hasn’t left the scene of the accident. Don’t sign anything from the other driver, and avoid discussing details of the accident to anyone except the police and your insurance agent. Depending on your exact coverage plan and the specifics of the accident, our insurance experts will help ensure that you receive the compensation you’re due to cover the costs of repair, and any pertinent medical or other expenses.
ABOUT YOUR CARROLLTON INSURANCE AGENCY:
With over 20 years of experience in the insurance industry, the Jeff Van Matre Insurance Agency can help you choose the right coverage plan to protect your personal and business assets and put your mind at ease. To learn more, visit us online, or call our Carrollton office today at 972-492-8500.