Even if you rent your house or apartment, you still own your belongings housed in it, and will need adequate insurance to protect them against damage, loss, or theft. While the structure of your home should be protected by your landlord, your own personal assets, and their effective protection, are solely your responsibility. Fortunately, your independent insurance agent, Jeff Van Matre, can help you secure the right renters insurance policy to help ensure that you and your property are properly protected.
About Renters Insurance
- Unlike car insurance, renters insurance isn’t always a necessity, but sometimes, it can be a requirement before entering a lease agreement. Even if it isn’t, however, it should be; before signing a lease, you should speak with your independent insurance agent about securing insurance first.
- Never assume that the landlord or property owner has insurance to cover the structure of your apartment or house, or any repairs that become necessary while you live there. After speaking with your insurance agent, ask potential landlords about the extent of their rental property insurance and what repairs are covered under it.
- If you have roommates other than a spouse or domestic partner, then be sure to secure your own renters insurance coverage for your belongings, even if they already have insurance.
- If you move into another rental property when your lease is up, be sure to let us know in advance in case any adjustments are recommended.
- If you move from a rental property because you’ve purchased a home, then you also should let us know as soon as possible so we can advise you on the differences between renters insurance and homeowners insurance.
- If plan on renting your property out, then you will need to first purchase a comprehensive rental property insurance plan. Keeping your property thoroughly insured will help protect you from liability in cases of accidents, injuries, and/or property damage that may occur to your tenants.
ABOUT YOUR DALLAS INSURANCE COMPANY:
With over 20 years of experience in the insurance industry, the Jeff Van Matre Insurance Agency can help you choose the right coverage plan to protect your personal and business assets. To learn more, or to get a free quote, call our Carrollton office today at 972-492-8500.