An insurance policy is a contract that you and your insurance company agree to. It could be car insurance, health insurance, life insurance, homeowners insurance, or others. Sometimes people sign insurance policies without reading them. They listen to the agent give an overview, and if they are happy with what they hear and the price, they sign the dotted line and may not think about it again. However, it is important that you know what your insurance company is going to do for you if and when something happens. One type of insurance we mentioned is homeowners insurance. What is homeowners insurance?
Types of Homeowners Insurance Policies
There are two types of homeowners insurance policies usually sold in the state of Texas. They are:
- All-risk policies or comprehensive coverage: Comprehensive includes many different causes of loss unless the policy states their exclusion.
- Specified or Named perils policies: Opposite to a comprehensive policy which covers everything unless specifically excluded, this type of policy only covers what is specifically stated in the policy and offers more limited coverage.
What do Homeowners Policies Cover?
Insurance policies in Texas usually cover the following:
- Dwelling: If your house is damaged or destroyed by a cause that the policy covers it will pay a certain amount of your losses.
- Personal Property: If any items in your house that are covered by insurance are damaged or destroyed, the company will pay a certain amount for your losses.
- Personal Liability: If someone incurs bodily damages while in your house due to a covered issue the company will pay court fees if a lawsuit is brought against you.
- Medical: If someone is hurt on your property the company will pay their medical bills rather than you paying out-of-pocket.
- Other Structures: Covers other structures on your property such as fences, sheds, and detached garages if they are damaged or destroyed by a cause covered by the policy.
- Loss of Use: If you are forced to relocate due to damage or destruction to your home the company will pay for food, housing, and other essential expenses up to a certain amount of money or up to a certain amount of time.
ABOUT YOUR DALLAS INSURANCE COMPANY:
With over 20 years of experience in the insurance industry, the Jeff Van Matre Insurance Agency can help you choose the right coverage plan to protect your personal and business assets. To learn more, or to get a free quote, call our Carrollton office today at 972-492-8500.