What Do I Need To Know About Renter’s?


According to a recent New York Times article, fewer and fewer Americans are buying homes, instead most of renting a house or apartment. If you rent, then you may still need an insurance policy. What do you need to know about renter’s insurance? Why is this necessary if you don’t actually own the place you’re living in?

Frequently Asked Questions About Renter’s Insurance

Question: Does the law require renter’s insurance?

Answer: The state does not require renter’s insurance. However, you may find your landlord will require you to carry a policy. Even if neither the state nor your landlord require the policy, we still recommend obtaining one. The monthly premiums are typically affordable and can definitely help should something occur that damages or destroys your belongings.

Question: Doesn’t the landlord already have insurance on the building?

Answer: Yes, in most cases the landlord does have insurance. However, this policy only protects the landlord’s investment. He can be reimbursed for lost wages or the cost of repairing damages, but this won’t help you with your lost furniture, clothing, or electronics. For that, you need your own insurance.

Question: How do I sign up?

Answer: You can simply contact our office. We will connect you with an agent who will discuss the type of coverage you need. If you have items of high value we can also suggest a separate floater policy, which replaces the values of special items and often carries a deductible of $0.

Question: What if I actually want to rent my home out to people?

Answer: Should you decide to rent your home know that your homeowner policy becomes void once you vacate the premises. You will need to obtain a new policy once you begin renting to other people.


With over 20 years of experience in the insurance industry, the Jeff Van Matre Insurance Agency can help you choose the right coverage plan to protect your personal and business assets and put your mind at ease. To learn more, or to get a free quote,  call our Carrollton office today at 972-492-8500.