While insurance can protect you from devastation if disaster hits your home, it can’t prevent the damage from occurring in the first place. As winter gains a foothold in Texas, knowing how to protect your home from harsh weather conditions can help you avoid the need for repairs and insurance claims later. Today, we offer a few tips to protect your home from the sometimes-unpredictable Texas winter, even if it snows!
- As the weather drops, the water that flows through your pipes could freeze, causing burst pipes and possibly water damage. Let the faucets trickle ever-so-slightly to keep the water moving and prevent freezing, and wrap accessible water pipes (such as in the basement) with insulation sleeves.
- If you have a plumbing leak, roof leak, or electrical problem, then hire a contractor to fix the problem as soon as possible, before the weather forces you to wait.
- Clear all gutters of leaves and debris. If they’re clogged, then rain, snow, and sleet can weigh them down and damage them.
If It Snows
- If it happens to snow, and the drift accumulates around your house, be sure to clear the snow off of all window ledges, walls, porches, and stairwells. If it remains, snow can lead to water damage as it melts.
- If you have an attic, keep it well-ventilated. A warm attic can cause the snow on your roof to melt, and as it runs off, it can create ice that forces the moisture under the roof.
- Don’t attempt to remove extensive snow and/or ice buildup from your roof alone. Instead, call a professional roofing contractor to safely and securely remove the hazard, if necessary.
ABOUT YOUR CARROLLTON INSURANCE AGENT:
With over 20 years of experience in the insurance industry, the Jeff Van Matre Insurance Agency can help you choose the right coverage plan to protect your personal and business assets and put your mind at ease. To learn more, or to get a free quote, call our Carrollton office today at 972-492-8500.