Insurance Needs For Web Professionals

web developers

As a web designer or developer, you may be unsure of your insurance needs. What exactly should be covered and what type of insurance should you carry? An insurance professional, like Jeff Van Matre of the Van Matre Insurance Agency of Dallas, Texas, can advise you as to your insurance needs as a web professional.

What kind of insurance coverage should you carry?

A web professional needs a Business Owners Policy, which will cover:

  • General liability
  • Professional liability
  • Errors and Omissions (E & O)

How will these types of insurance protect me?

General liability:

General liability insurance will protect you as you visit your client’s premises. As an example, you are in a meeting discussing the web marketing plans of your client and you accidently knock over a pitcher of water. Before your clients can react, four laptops and a three cellphones are kaput. Who pays? It depends on whether or not you are insured. With general liability insurance, your insurance company pays, after you meet the deductible up to the stated amount of the policy.

Professional liability:

Professional liability insurance protects you against claims of negligence by a client. You were contracted to build a site and you delivered what you thought was a first rate site. Your client, however, disagrees, and has filed suit against you. Who is going to pay the ensuing legal bills? Your insurance company – if you are insured – after you meet your deductible.

Or, your client has given you artwork he wants you to use on the site that they contracted you to construct. Your client is very happy with the final product and you both are pleased with the traffic the site is receiving. Then, unexpectedly, you and your client get hit with a lawsuit for copyright infringement. The artwork the client asked to use was not the company’s – it was copyright protected. Who pays? After the deductible is paid, the insurance company pays up to the amount contained within the policy for copyright infringement.

Errors and Omissions (E & O):

Errors and Omissions coverage protects in the case that you made a professional mistake. As an example, you subcontracted out some work on the shopping cart feature of a new site you were contracted to build. The shopping cart software has a flaw, and not only does your customer’s site get hacked, but a lot of their customers’ financial information is taken. The lawsuits start to fly. Who pays the attorneys’ fees, the settlement costs, the deposition expenses? After you pay the deductible, the insurance company will pay – up to the face amount of the policy.

Only an experienced insurance agent like Jeff Van Matre can help you decide the right amount of coverage – and not pay for what you do not need.

About Jeff Van Matre Insurance Agency:

If you want to make sure you have the right insurance coverage as a web professional, call TheJeff Van Matre Insurance Agency at 972-492-8500, which offers customized insurance policies that feature a variety of coverage options. Contact us today to discuss a policy or receive a quote. Located in Carrollton TX, we proudly serve individuals and businesses in Carrollton, Lewisville, Dallas, Irving, Plano, and surrounding communities.