Electrician’s License And Renewals


electricityWorking around live voltage makes an electrician’s work extremely dangerous. While if the proper precautions are taken, they can perform their tasks safely, there is always that chance that something may go wrong. Isn’t that the way with everything? If an electrical contractor does not perform their job properly, however, they can leave others at risk of serious danger including electrical shock and fire. That’s why electricians undergo stringent training and are required to work under the supervision of a master electrician for a certain number of hours before they can apply for a license.  There are several requirements when it comes to an electrician license and subsequent renewals.

Texas State License

If you perform any type of electrical work as a professional in the state of Texas you must be a licensed electrical contractor. Electrical work is defined as (per the following Texas government website http://www.tdlr.texas.gov/electricians/elecfaq.htm#licensing):

  • Any labor or material used in installing, maintaining or extending an electrical wiring system and the appurtenances, apparatus or equipment used in connection with the use of electrical energy in, on, outside, or attached to a building, residence, structure, property, or premises.
  • Service entrance conductors, as defined by the National Electrical Code.

Insurance Requirements

Individuals working as electrical contractors, electrical sign contractors, or as residential appliance installation contractors are required to carry at least the minimum general liability insurance coverage at all times for proof of financial responsibility. Minimum insurance coverage is as follows:

  • $300,000 per occurrence for combined property damage and bodily injury.
  • $600,000 aggregate, which is the total amount the policy will pay for property damage and bodily injury coverage.
  • $300,000 aggregate for products and completed operations.

The following is also required:

  • The applicant must file a completed certificate of insurance when applying for initial and renewal licenses and upon the request of the department.
  • The applicant must provide proof of the required general liability and workers’ compensation insurance or verify that they have elected not to obtain workers’ compensation coverage.
  • A licensed contractor is required to provide the name of the insurance carrier, policy number, name, address, and telephone number of the insurance agent with whom the contractor is insured to any customer who requests it.
  • Insurance must be obtained from an admitted company or an eligible surplus lines carrier, as defined in the Texas Insurance Code, Chapter 981, or other insurance companies that are rated by A.M. Best Company as B+ or higher.


With over 20 years of experience in the insurance industry, the Jeff Van Matre Insurance Agency can help you choose the right coverage plan to protect your personal and business assets. To learn more, or to get a free quotecall our Carrollton office today at 972-492-8500.