Do You Need More Than Liability Coverage?


Without your car most of your daily tasks would be nearly impossible. Few of us live close to work or school. As important as your car is, you need to protect it with auto insurance. How much coverage do you need for your vehicle? Do you need more than liability auto coverage?

Try Our Auto Insurance Quiz

  1. True or False: The state requires liability coverage.
  2. True or False: Liability won’t cover your car or medical bills.
  3. True or False: A comprehensive policy addresses multiple possibilities.
  4. True or False: If you have a company car you may need commercial coverage.

Answer Key

  1. True. The state of Texas requires that drivers carry the minimum level of liability coverage. This means should you become involved in an accident and are at fault, the policy can cover damages to the other driver’s vehicle and also medical bills, if needed.
  2. True. Many people assume this coverage will also cover their own vehicles and medical bills. This is not true. If you only carry this level of coverage, then you will need to cover your own repair costs and medical bills.
  3. True. If you carry a more comprehensive policy then you can receive coverage for medical bills for both you and your passengers, as well as collision for your car. If you need a rental vehicle or a tow truck you can be reimburse afterward. A comprehensive policy can also cover theft, fire, flood, hail, and tornado.
  4. True. What if your car is used for work? If you own a company and have a vehicle that is driven by employees or used for work-related excursions, then you need commercial coverage. As with auto, this provides coverage should you or an employee become involved in an accident.


With over 20 years of experience in the insurance industry, the Jeff Van Matre Insurance Agency can help you choose the right coverage plan to protect your personal and business assets and put your mind at ease. To learn more, or to get a free quote,  call our Carrollton office today at 972-492-8500.