Do You Need Flood Insurance?


Across the state of Texas recent rains have caused communities to experience major flooding. Rising water can not only damage your home, but the resulting risk of mold can make the structure unlivable without substantial repairs and renovations. In order to protect yourself from the financial burdens of these repairs, you need coverage. Do you need flood insurance?

Doesn’t My Homeowner Policy Cover This?

No. For many people this is very surprising, but a homeowner policy does not provide coverage for flood damage. As a result, you will need a separate policy to product your home from damage due to flooding.

But I Don’t Live Near Water

If you don’t live in close proximity to a river, lake, or stream you may assume there really isn’t a risk to your home. However, floods aren’t limited to adjacent large bodies of water. Torrential rain can cause floods in areas not prone to them. You can also have your home damaged by snowmelts or even a blocked sewer line. Fixing floodwater damage can be expensive, so even if you live in a low risk area we advise carrying coverage. You may qualify for a preferred risk policy, which is less expensive than a policy for a higher risk area.

What if the Area is Flood Prone?

A high-risk area means you should carry a policy to protect your home’s structure and the contents inside. In some cases, you may actually qualify for insurance via the National Flood Insurance Program. We can help you find out if you are eligible for this option. We can also discuss policy options for your home that fit your need and your budget. If you have any questions or concerns about your home insurance options then please contact our office today.


With over 20 years of experience in the insurance industry, the Jeff Van Matre Insurance Agency can help you choose the right coverage plan to protect your personal and business assets and put your mind at ease. To learn more, or to get a free quote,  call our Carrollton office today at 972-492-8500.