You do. If you are an independent contractor of any kind, even if you are sitting home typing on your computer eight hours a day, you still need insurance coverage. It may seem like a computer job is harmless, you can’t get hurt, your clients can’t get hurt, so why insurance? Just because physical injury may be rare, there are other things that can go wrong for which you need to be insured. Find out what contractors insurance is and who needs it.
Who Needs It
Contractors, general contractors, and subcontractors are generally required to carry insurance by law. Also the businesses they work for often require proof of insurance. If that isn’t reason enough, you will want to carry insurance to protect yourself from claims made by clients. Here are some typical contracting businesses that require insurance:
- Construction: Building construction, home improvement, heavy construction, etc.
- Electrician: Repairmen, contractors, lighting, heating and air conditioning, HVAC techs, construction.
- Plumbing: Contractors, pipe fitters, remodelers, renovators, developers, sprinkler and septic tank installers, etc.
- Painting: Painting accidents can cause injuries or property damage (falling off a ladder, paint spills) that could lead to lawsuits and financial loss.
- Landscaping: Landscaping can also cause injuries or property damage that could lead to lawsuits.
- Carpentry: Working with power tools is always a dangerous proposition. There is also the potential for injury and property damage which could lead to financial loss.
- Plowing: Snow removal can be risky business. You may damage property or have an accident.
- Handyman: As a handyman you are exposed to a variety of different risks that can cause you or those around you injury, or your client property damage.
What Do You Need?
Some of the insurance types you will need as a contractor include general liability insurance, workers’ compensation, and commercial auto insurance.
ABOUT YOUR DALLAS, TX INSURANCE COMPANY:
With over 20 years of experience in the insurance industry, the Jeff Van Matre Insurance Agency can help you choose the right coverage plan to protect your personal and business assets. To learn more, or to get a free quote, call our Carrollton, TX office today at 972-492-8500.