If you visit an insurance website you may be overwhelmed with the different types of insurance available. If you are just in the market for house insurance or car insurance, it may not be so confusing, although the policies themselves may be difficult to understand. However, if you are in the market for business insurance, contractors insurance, or technology insurance, it is not so cut and dry. If you are running a business there are several types of insurance you may need such as Commercial Property insurance.
What Is Commercial Property Insurance?
Commercial property insurance typically covers buildings and business-related personal property (BPP). If you own the building then it should cover both the building itself, and the BPP the building houses. If you rent or lease, then typically it will only cover the BPP the building houses.
Building Coverage: Building coverage is also called real property and typically includes the following:
- Permanently installed machines and equipment (central air, furnace, boiler)
- Permanently attached fixtures such as built-in cabinets, counters, or bookcases
- Floor coverings
- Appliances (refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers)
- Fire extinguishers
- Outdoor furniture
Business Personal Property: BPP includes other things you own that are not considered building property and that are not listed as excluded in the policy. This can include:
- Unattached office furniture, machines, equipment
- Raw materials
- Leased property that you are obligated to insure
- Property in the building that is under your care
What Commercial Property Insurance Does Not Cover
Most Commercial Property policies exclude the following:
- Money, bank accounts, bills, food stamps, securities
- Electronic data
- Costs associated with restoring lost data whether hard copy or electronic
- Animals that are not considered “stock”
- Most vehicles such as watercrafts and aircrafts
- Piers, docks, wharves
- Any crops
- Animal feed such as hay or grain that is kept outside
- Land costs for such things as backfilling, grading, or excavating
- Walkways, roads, or other paved surfaces
- Building foundations
ABOUT YOUR DALLAS, TX INSURANCE COMPANY:
With over 20 years of experience in the insurance industry, the Jeff Van Matre Insurance Agency can help you choose the right coverage plan to protect your personal and business assets. To learn more, or to get a free quote, call our Carrollton, TX office today at 972-492-8500.