Although homeowners’ insurance is not required by law, your lender will require you to purchase homeowners’ insurance to protect their interests. They may only require the minimum amount, but to protect your interests it is recommended that you buy a comprehensive insurance policy that includes liability, and more than the minimum hazard coverage. If you’re like most homeowners, you probably purchase your policy with little knowledge of what it actually covers, file it away, and forget about until the unfortunate day you may need it. How much do you know about homeowners’ insurance? Take our quiz to find out.
True or False?
- True or False: House insurance covers just that, the basic physical structure of your house.
- True or False: A typical homeowners’ insurance policy covers earthquakes and floods.
- True or False: A lower deductible is better.
- False: While your house insurance does protect the structure of your home and any other buildings on your property, it also covers your personal possessions. In addition, it will help pay living expenses if an incident leaves your place uninhabitable and forces you to stay elsewhere. It will also help you pay for injuries if a visitor is hurt on your property.
- False: Standard homeowners’ insurance policies do not cover earthquakes or floods. You need separate coverage for both.
- False: An insurance deductible is the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket before your policy will come into effect. Although you should not set your deductible at an amount that you won’t be able to pay quickly should you have to, lower deductibles are not better for the following reasons: the higher the deductible, the lower the premium; carrying a high deductible will make you think twice before filing a claim. Filing too many claims can cause your insurance provider to cancel your coverage, or at the very least raise your premium.
ABOUT YOUR DALLAS INSURANCE COMPANY:
With over 20 years of experience in the insurance industry, the Jeff Van Matre Insurance Agency can help you choose the right coverage plan to protect your personal and business assets. To learn more, or to get a free quote, call our Carrollton office today at 972-492-8500.